What are Graphic Novels? 什么是漫画？
According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Graphic Novel is
"a type of text combining words and images—essentially a comic, although the term most commonly refers to a complete story presented as a book rather than a periodical."
The key difference between illustrated books, picture books, and graphic novels is that graphic novels are generally longer and have a more developed narrative than picture books.
Why Graphic Novels? 为何选择漫画？
Graphic novels can and should be used as any other form or format of reading material. Like any traditional novel, a graphic novel tells a story. The literary elements of traditional stories are present: plot, character, setting, theme, climax, etx. The scaffolding of illustration in addition to the text will make some abstract concepts more concret. Also, graphic novels can be used to develop skills in visual literacy.
Important Elements of Graphic Novel 漫画中的要素
- Colour can be used in a variety of ways in graphic novels.
- Line is a component of the art in a graphic novel, and the direction of a line can imply different things.
- Composition is how the illustration is put together.
- Frames can be used to contain text and illustration and creat panels.
- Speech balloons cantain the text and dialogue of the graphic novel.
- White space is important in graphic novels.
- Media and technique/style of illustration functions in graphic novels as it does in any art.
20, Lane 1251 West Wuding Road, Changhing District,
Shanghai, China 200042
TEL: (+86) 21 6167 1999 -1 -8271
I am currently reading...:
The Inquisitor's Tale